A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, February 15, 2010

Five Years After Rafiq Hariri

Yesterday Lebanon marked the fifth anniversary of the assassination of Rafiq Hariri. The optimism generated by the original "Cedar Revolution" movement seems a remote memory now. Syrian troops may have left Lebanon, but Syrian influence still runs deep, and Sa‘d Hariri has made his trip to Damascus now that he is Prime Minister.

I could rehash the events of the past five years, or even just of the past year, but I think most of my readers are familiar with them. It gets to be depressing after awhile. Instead I think I'll refer you to my post of last October, "The Modern History of Lebanon in One Headline."

1 comment:

LJ Marczak said...

The anniversary as seen by the Gulf News Dubai.

http://gulfnews.com/opinions/editorials/a-noticeable-change-of-heart-in-beirut-1.583646