A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

For St. Patrick's Day, An Oldie but a Goodie: the Ties Between the Irish and Coptic Traditions

A year ago on Saint Patrick's Day, I discoursed at some length about the hints and clues of ancient links between the early Irish church, including possibly Patrick himself, and the Coptic church of Egypt: the presence of Irish pilgrims in Egypt, of Coptic monks in Ulster, of liturgical and monastic similarities, etc.

Since the blog was less than two months old at the time a lot of my current readers probably weren't following me yet, and most of you probably don't have so much time on your hands as to have read the whole archive, I thought I'd refer you back to it. If you haven't seen it before, enjoy; if you have, I haven't much to add to it but I still think it's little known (and not conclusive), but heck, it's Saint Patrick's Day and my name is Michael Collins Dunn. What can I say?

As I said back then, Misr Umm al-Dunya and Erin go Bragh.

Slainte
to you all.

1 comment:

LJ Marczak said...

I was expecting a post with "A Row in the Town" or "Holy Ground".

Preferably on the bagpipes!